Come with me on this journey…we are going to do Pilates in the living room. We should want to be healthy and fit so that we can be at our very best.
It’s a good way to stretch muscles and work on balance to strengthen the core…an overall great and low impact exercise method.
- We begin by rolling out our Pilates mat…after scooting all the toys out of the way in front of the TV. This immediately gets the attention of two darling children…
What’s that mat for?
Can I sit on it?
Hey, we can make a fort!!
Oh, look…Momma’s putting on a movie!!
No, dear children…Momma’s going to exercise. Get off the mat, please, and give Momma some space.
- Next we begin the Pilates DVD. This causes the third child to also become very involved in figuring out what fun is currently happening…
Who’s that lady?
Is she a ballerina?
Is that the ocean? What’s that funny music? I don’t like it. Can we watch Mickey Mouse?
No, sweet little ones…Momma’s going to exercise. Get off the mat, please, and give Momma some space.
- Sit in the center of the mat with legs crossed and your hands on your knees. Slowly breathe in and out to center yourself before we begin.
Ouch! Don’t hit me…Momma!!!! She hit me!!
No I didn’t! He started it…he said I was a stupid face!
Where’s my pants? Here Momma…here’s a sticker.
- Pause the DVD because this is going to take a moment to sort out.
Everyone keep your hands to yourselves…Boy child, no name calling or you go to time out. Littlest one, your pants are on the floor in the bathroom where you left them. Thank you for the sticker.
Please!! Momma’s going to exercise. Get off the mat, please, and give Momma some space.
- Restart DVD…continue to breath slowly and center yourself….
If I have to stop this DVD one more time, you guys are gonna get it!! Now please!!!! Momma’s going to exercise and I am trying to center myself!!!!! Get off the mat, please, and give Momma some space.
- Skip the ‘center yourself’ part because that isn’t going to happen. Just do the best you can and know that something is better than nothing.